Pages

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Dealing with emotions of Moore tornado from afar


A little over 13 month I listened to Marty Logan describe a tornado moving through my hometown of Woodward. On Monday, I sat on a bus and listened to Mike Morgan describe a massive, sometimes “barrel shaped” tornado move through Moore. When the twister first dropped near Newcastle, I held out a lot of hope that it would be a short lived event that would lift before moving into the community that had suffered a devastating event just 13 years earlier.

While looking at radar on my and listening to the KFOR “Storm Team” describe what they were seeing and try to report the event as best as possible, I began to come to the realization that this was only going to get worse…it was headed into Moore.

Many know that I am a huge severe weather geek. Not the kind that tries to look at the models and make my own predictions or forcast, I let people who are much smarter do that, but I pay attention enough to have an idea of what’s going on. The weather fascinates me. I will watch severe weather coverage for hours on end. I have watched coverage of tornados moving through communities, and while I was worried for the people, with the exception of Woodward in April of 2012, I had literally never become sick to my stomach. Monday became the second time.

At 2:26, as storms began initiating in central Oklahoma, I texted my best friend Britney, making sure she was paying attention to the weather. Britney is the varsity girls head basketball at Southmoore High School and I figured she was at the school. At 2:45, I received a reply that they had taken the students into shelters, and it was obvious that she was scared. At this point, for the first time in my life, I had no idea what to say, especially from a bus, three hours away, to try to help someone calm down. At 3:04, got a text saying “It’s huge. I can see it right behind us.” At this point, I became scared. Helpless. Prayerful. Numb.

Josh and Britney's house, looking up the driveway.
From that point on, I had to rely on the stream from KTOK in hopes of finding out she was okay. Shortly after the tornado passed Southmoore, I was able to put about 95-percentile on the school being spared by the descriptions from Morgan. However, then the realization came to me that the deadly tornado was tracking towards Britney’s home, and I had no idea where her husband Josh, also a very close friend, was. I went from tons of negative emotions, to joy that my best friend had been spared, to the negative emotions of not know where another close friend was.

Over the next two hours or so, I was patrolling Facebook and Twitter, trying to determine if anyone had heard anything. I had pretty much determined by that point that they had probably lost their home, but that was the least of my concerns. Finally, in the process of reaching Josh’s brother to tell him that I assumed Britney was unharmed, but didn’t have a good feeling about their home, Jay informed me that Josh had been able to reach out to them. Yet again, I was back to positive emotions. Joy. Thankfulness. Blessed.

As I type this from a hotel room in Stafford, Texas, I haven’t had much communication with Josh and Britney. Everything is hectic around there. They have no home. Their lives are in shambles, with just each other (their two dogs) and family to lean on at this point. But due to that lack of communication, I personally have had struggles dealing with the event. I know there isn’t a lot I can do, but I feel helpless now. I have images of people I care about picking through the rubble of their home, trying to salvage anything they can. I feel guilty that I am able to go to Top Golf, sit front row behind the third base dugout at Minute Maid Ballpark and each wings at a local Houston establishment.

I have been incredibly blessed in my life and haven’t had to deal with situations like this, while others, especially long time residents of Moore, have gone through this twice in a little over a decade. I’m so thankful that Josh, Britney, Itsi and Minnie Sayes are healthy.

This has truly been an emotional week.

No comments:

Post a Comment